Thursday, August 6, 2009

10 things I hate about looking for an agent

1. Writing covering letters (and don’t even get me started on trying to write a synopsis).

2. Re-formatting the manuscript to comply with each agency’s oh-so-slightly different requirements. Microsoft Word has never been a friend of mine.

3. Printing out fifty pages, only to realize the text is at a slight angle because it hasn’t fed into the printer properly. Wrestle with idea of just sending it as it is, knowing full well I’m going to end up having to print it again.

4. Going to the post office. Never fun.

5. Waiting.

6. Exacerbating RSI by checking for emails more often than you’d have thought possible. It turns out that pressing ‘Refresh’ is not refreshing at all. Not even a little bit.

7. Crippling self-doubt when a rejection arrives, even if it’s a really nice one from a lovely agent who liked the first 50 pages. If he/she has said five positive things about the ms and one negative, I know which one I’ll be obsessing over for the next few days.

8. Thinking that I sound like an idiot in any email correspondence. Too formal? Not formal enough? Too grateful? Not grateful enough? Tis a mine-field.

9. Not being able to focus on ANYTHING else.

10. Er… did I mention the waiting?


One thing I love about looking for an agent:
the possibility that something great could be about to happen.


Cheese of the day: camembert (baked, with garlic and white wine)

No comments:

Post a Comment