Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Kill, kill, kill!

Good writing session last night. I’d been dreading tackling this bit, because it meant killing off one of my favourite characters. Of course, as the writer, I could have chosen to spare her, but where would the fun be in that?! Besides, the whole story is about her death, so there was really no avoiding it. It’s just... I’d kind of grown fond of her (even if she is the meanest of meanmasters).

Writing the scene was disturbing, but in a good way. I got that proper writing buzz where you surprise yourself. Or rather your characters surprise you. This is THE COOLEST THING EVER. I’d forgotten how good it feels. I heart writing, big time. I’m relieved to be feeling this way again, as I’ve been feeling a bit shaky and unsure about this novel. But it’s all better now. Huzzah!

So I left my doomed character’s life hanging in the balance at 8.38pm. Cruel, I know. But I couldn’t quite face finishing her off just yet. That will be tonight’s job. And I’m REALLY looking forward to it.


Song of the day: Bad Romance, by Lady Gaga

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I followed you over here, too. Congrats again on the forthcoming book. Can you tell me what it's about? A YA, you said. Is it fantasy?

    Good luck killing off your character. I'm not killing anybody today, but I am making my protagonist fall off a horse. Into deep snow, though, so not even a serious injury.

    Ow, it's hard to type with a cat sitting on the keyboard...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah!

    My book isn't fantasy, and I haven't quite worked out a snappy description for it yet... am working on it. Will let you know when I've got it!

    I would like to fall off a horse into deep snow. I'd imagine that would make a REALLY cool sound, like when you walk through snow, but a hundred times better!

    Urgh, cats on keyboards are the bane of my life! And cats pawing at the little flashing icons on my screen...

    ReplyDelete