Saturday, December 5, 2009

RIP Borders

So Borders has gone finally into administration and this makes me sad. Lots of very talented booksellers out of work just before Christmas and one of the most pleasant places to buy books on the high street gone. It's bad, bad news.

Borders has had a special place in my heart ever since I first visited one in the States years and years ago. Somewhere that sells DVDs, CDs AND books?! With a coffeeshop too?! It was a revelation. I've whiled away many happy hours in various Borders stores. I'd have been quite happy to LIVE in one of those stores, if I wouldn't have been, y'know, arrested.

We lost the Oxford Street branch months ago. It was probably the bookshop I visited most often and I found it hard to believe it was closing down. Going to the sale there was beyond depressing. People gleefully scrambling for bargains among the half-empty shelves. It was like watching vultures tearing apart the carcass of a bison. Don't get me wrong: I was a vulture too. But I didn't feel good about it.

Bye bye Borders. I will miss you lots.

No comments:

Post a Comment