Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Case of the Writer Who Does Not Write

I have a confession to make. I haven't written a word in two months. Now, if you've been following this blog for a while, you'll know that I've had a pretty decent reason not to write. I just... haven't felt like it. Plus, my WIP is all kinds of depressing and upsetting, so that doesn't exactly help.


BUT I am going to start writing again this week. This is my promise to you. That means I can't go back on it, right? If I do, I'll have to write a lame blog post full of excuses, and I don't want to have to do that. I'm 40,000 in, and planning to write about 70,000. I know how the story is going to end, and I've even got an idea of some of the scenes I need to write between now and then e.g. 'poignant dad scene' and 'big fight between X and Y'. (N.B. My characters aren't actually called X and Y. They have normal names like normal people.)


So, 30,000 words to go. EASY! I'll start... um... tomorrow. Maybe.

5 comments:

  1. It's understandable Cat but you need to get back on the horse and YOU CAN DO IT!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Lynsey. You can do it. Just one word at a time. Start with a small objective and then slowly build it up. Like if you were training to do the marathon.

    And if that doesn't work, I recommend writing something really different to help you get the flow back. I am writing for 5 - 8s right now and it is so much fun. Very different to what I was writing before and so it feels like a holiday.

    If you need encouragement, you know where I am!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynsey and Becky - thank you both! One word at a time is the only way to go.

    I'd love to write something else instead, but the deadline is LOOMING like a great big looming thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do it!

    I've been in a little bit of a drought too. I hope to end that soon as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what I think? It's all about habit. Now this is easy for me to say, being a total slack-off while you have an *actual* book about to be published. But I think you just need to rekindle the habit and you will be fine.

    I also think publicly posting about it is a great idea. Now you'll have your online friends on your case. :D

    ReplyDelete