Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Evil plan: foiled!

Back to the real world with a bump after the excitement of the royal wedding. For me, the weekend was a glorious combination of: smoked salmon, cake, Cava, cocktails in teacups, royal faces mounted on chopsticks (don't ask), reading the papers, dressing up as a sailor, reading more papers and sitting in the sunshine eating a baked potato. Busy times indeed.

Last week I received my edits for TORN. They didn't make me cry or throw a tantrum or set anything on fire. So that was a good start. Just a few tweaks here and there and I should be finished by the end of the day. There was one little section that gave me pause. When I originally wrote it I thought it was a) entirely pointless but b) pretty damn charming. As far as I was concerned, the charm outweighed the pointlessness and with any luck it might just sneak through into the final book. After all, no one would really pay attention to three sentences out of 75,000 words. I was wrong. My editor (gently) suggested that I get rid of the aforementioned sentences. Busted.

My evil plan was foiled, dammit. Re-reading the section now, it's clear to me that it's not even particularly charming. Charmless AND pointless is never a good combo. So I guess what I'm saying is maybe you shouldn't try to sneak things into your manuscript just because you think they're charming or clever or an in-joke between you and... er... you. Make sure everything you write HAS A POINT.

Have you ever been found guilty of this unspeakable crime? Do tell...

6 comments:

  1. You must write a very clean first draft! That's something to be proud of. I'm fully expecting to have my entire ms ripped into itty bitty pieces when it comes back, and many, many more than three lines removed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoe - Don't fret. There were other cuts too! But this was the only bit I remember writing and thinking 'I hope this doesn't get cut... even though it probably should.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL... I think I might know what you mean. A good thing it's only a few lines, though, and not a few chapters. You know what they say: you have to murder your darlings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. I write stuff thinking "Catherine's going to tell me to get rid of that." And then she does and I shake my fist at her (down the phone). :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like your editor is on the ball. LOL. I must agree with Zoe, your first drafts must be AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Often I will write a first draft and then have to write it two or three more times to get it perfect.

    ReplyDelete